Saturday, November 28, 2009

Two new still life sketches

This evening I had time to sketch out two new pieces.  One I got from one of those drawing self-help books, and it actually turned out nicely:



The other is an attempt to capture a scultpture my wife and I were given for our wedding.  Given it's complex shape and my lack of experience, it may have been a bit over my head:

 As you can see, the shading is a little off, and the shape of the inner arch doesn't look quite right (in real life it's a bit more elegant of a curvature).  However, it was a good learning experience.  Given a chance to do it over, I would have backed off on the background shading, made the shadow a little more relevant to the shape of the object, and been more exacting about where the inner arch meets it's right hand base.  Oh well, with practice comes knowledge.

~Ethan

4 comments:

  1. Ethan, you're doing great! It's all a matter of seeing and you're definitely using your eyes. I'll enjoy reading about and seeing your drawings.

    Barb
    www.caregivingexperience.com (where I use drawings, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I'm turning one of Lorentz's rooms into an art room (don't tell him - it's one of the upstairs rooms, so he'll never know).

    You should come over and draw or paint with me sometime. I've been meaning to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Barb

    Thanks so much! I looked at the drawings on your site, love the cat in the 10/29/2009 post (Huni).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Gina

    Love to! I didn't know you were an artist, I could probably learn from you

    ReplyDelete