Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A foray into Charcoal

I've primarily been using graphite so far, because I find it really easy to control and it's cheap to use, but I have friends who keep pushing me to try charcoal to learn about pressure and shading.  Here's one of my first attempts, and it's rough:

I feel like everything I draw with the charcoal stick is loose, cartoony. None of the lines come out straight, everything feels smudgy.  I'm sure this is just due to lack of experience, it's tough to move from something you're comfortable with to something you aren't.  Hopefully I'll be doing a lot more with charcoal in the future, and I'll be sharing anything else I produce as it comes up.

Anyone with tips about the learning curve from graphite to charcoal, I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment